Worldwide Up-to- the-Minute Aircraft Tracking
GlobalBeaconSM is a first of its kind product from Aireon and FlightAware that provides the most cost-effective and easy to deploy solution for the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Global Aeronautical Distress Safety System (GADSS).
Beginning in November 2018, airlines and aircraft operators will be expected to track their fleet anywhere in the world at a frequency of one position every 15 minutes during normal operations. By 2021, they will need to automatically receive positions once-per-minute for aircraft in distress.
By combining FlightAware’s data processing platform and web-interface with Aireon’s space-based ADS-B network, GlobalBeacon transcends borders and Flight Information Regions (FIRs) and provides 100% global coverage, including over deserts, polar airspace and oceanic regions. With GlobalBeacon, airlines and aircraft operators are able to exceed GADSS standards and recommended practices for flight tracking.
Aircraft equipped with ADS-B out transponders are tracked automatically with their position broadcast in real-time. Since ADS-B Out 1090MHz is mandated throughout the world, most aircraft do not require additional equipment to take advantage of GlobalBeacon
How it will work?
GlobalBeacon is a web-based alerting dashboard that provides 100 percent global, real-time aircraft tracking, with minute-by-minute position updates as the standard rate of reporting. GlobalBeacon combines Aireon’s space-based ADS-B position data with FlightAware’s web interface and worldwide flight information – including origin, destination, and estimated time of arrival (ETA).
By leveraging technology commonly available on commercial aircraft, GlobalBeacon has a unique advantage over other potential solutions. Since ADS-B out is mandated throughout the world, most airlines and aircraft operators do not need to worry about additional equipment to take advantage of GlobalBeacon.
GlobalBeacon is a turn-key solution that gives airlines and aircraft operators the peace of mind that their fleet is being monitored anywhere in the world and provides real-time 4D aircraft positions and customizable alerts for immediate notification when an aircraft is in distress.
- 4D position information reported at a standard interval of at least once-per-minute.
- 100% global coverage for monitoring aircraft anywhere in the world.
- Automatically generates logs with 4D positions for aircraft in distress or potential distress.
- Does not require additional avionics or equipment for aircraft equipped with 1090MHz ADS-B Out and a top mounted antenna.
- Works in conjunction with existing processes and tools commonly used by operators.
- Facilitates communication between operator and ATC with constant fleet monitoring, automated distress alerts and tools that make it easy to share information when needed.
- Transcends borders and Flight Information Regions (FIRs), including polar airspace.
- Easy to deploy and/or provision to any third party on behalf of the operator.
To learn more about the GlobalBeacon, click here.