Aireon is the first and only provider of space-based surveillance for Air TrafficServices. Aireon’s operations have been designed to meet the stringent and rigorous requirements for providing ATS surveillance. Aireon recognizes the safety and mission-critical nature of such a service and has established a 24/7/365 operations center, which monitors the integrity of the Aireon service and provides immediate access for customers.
Designed Around Rigorous Requirements
Aireon conducts operations under an ATM/ANS certification (Air Traffic Management /Air Navigation Services) issued by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). and recognizes the safety-critical nature of the services provided by Air Trafic Services. Aireon has developed an Integrated Management System that defines Aireon’s systematic, explicit and comprehensive approach to the management of safety in all its activities. As an entity providing surveillance services, Aireon is committed to making the safe delivery of space-based ADS-B data a top priority and avoiding the introduction of safety risks into its customers’ ATM platforms.
EASA objectives are:
- To ensure the highest common level of safety protection for European Union (EU) citizens
- To ensure the highest common level of environmental protection
- To supply a single regulatory and certification process among Member States
- To facilitate the internal aviation single market by working with other international aviation organizations and regulators to enable a level playing field.
For Aireon’s certification as an ATM/ANS organization, a rigorous set of activities took place including but not limited to:
- Audit of several functional areas to assess compliance with all applicable EU Regulations (including software assurance and system verification activities)
- Detailed audit of all Aireon Integrated Management System processes
- Facility inspections which included Satellite Network Operations Center (SNOC) operations, Aireon Processing and Distribution (APD) operations, and Aireon Network Operations
- Contingency and disaster recovery site operations and on-orbit service acceptance testing.
Service Management – Aireon provides Space-based ADS-B surveillance services in accordance with industry standards and best practices to ensure the service is operated and maintained at a level commensurate with the critical nature of our service and customer expectations.
Security – The importance of cyber security correlates directly with Aireon’s strong commitment to safety. Aireon is overseen and managed under the strictest policies and processes to ensure our system and service operate in the most secure manner possible.
Quality –Aireon has implemented quality management procedures throughout the entirety of its integrated management system and is guided by a commitment to continual improvement in the services provided to customers.
For more information on Aireon’s space-based ADS-B operations, download the brochure.