Stay up to date
Aireon is at the leading edge of Aviation technology, sign up to stay up to date with all our news, completely free.
Aireon, NAV Canada’s joint venture with US-based satellite provider Iridium Communications, is set to launch 10 Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) payload-carrying satellites from Vandenberg AFB, California, via SpaceX launch vehicles in mid-September, NAV Canada President and CEO Neil Wilson said Aug. 25 at the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) Air Safety Forum in Washington DC…
“With ground-based ADS-B, today only 30% of the world’s airspace is subject to air-traffic surveillance; that is all about to change,” Wilson said. “When the Aireon ADS-B payloads are in orbit on the Iridium NEXT constellation of … satellites, the remaining 70% of the world’s airspace will be visible.